Monday, July 04, 2005

K-OS in Stanley Park

I enjoy the concert-in-the-park scenario. Sitting on the grassy knoll, lazing around on a Sunday afternoon. Listening to K-OS perform just as he had at the previous show I attended, pumping his fists in the air while cloaked in his signature white hoodie and sunglasses. There was nothing lacking in his performance and he even performed a new song that I hadn't heard before.

I can really grove to his laid back, reggae influenced, funky music. The band solos were really long but the talent of the band members allowed for it I suppose. My favourite was the bongo dude.

The only thing missing from this concert was the sunshine, and I couldn't help but think it would be even more ideal with a beer garden. Maybe the Saturday night show was more young adult oriented, while the crowd I was a part of was dotted with families with small children. Apparently the opening act didn't take that into consideration since his performance was littered with profanity.

Killa Kela, the beatboxer from Britain, put on an impressive show, combining layers of intricate beats with only his mouth as an instrument.

I respect K-OS for using intelligent language to deliver the messages in his music, I respect the originality of his sound, and wish him continued success.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

what about his beef with k'naan though? legitimate or disrespectful?

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I didn't even know about that! Some people say K-OS has this holier-than-mainstream attitude. Apparently he is not too well liked in the industry because of it...appearing as though he is not grateful for recognition at award shows, etc. I don't see anything wrong with what K'Naan is doing. I think he is using his art form to expose the real violence in his home country that makes the "gangsta" culture in North America look tame. Perhaps this will result in more awareness of these problems, especially since his music is so easy to like. If K-OS thinks K'Naan is exploiting the suffering in his country to create a buzz about himself, then I don't agree.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home