Friday, June 24, 2005

Friday Night Freak Show

It is not common for me to be sitting at home at this hour on a Friday night but I feel a cold coming on and frankly I need to give my liver and my wallet a rest. I put in a good effort on Wednesday and Thursday night so I don't owe any offerings to the Party Gods tonight.

It's interesting to note the little observations one can make while sitting at home and not wandering through barville in a drunken fog. Occasionally I will hear a commotion outside and walk over to the window for some real entertainment. I just saw a brief altercation between two crack noggins on the street outside my window. Not sure what they were fighting about but I doubt they were either. That's always interesting. Once I saw a man literally crying and yelling at the rich barhoppers for money. "I NEED HELP! YOU PEOPLE ARE SO RICH AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS EAT!". It broke my heart. Then a nice man gave him a bill and did he rush to the dollar pizza? No. He obviously needed more since his dealer must have had a minimum order requirement.

Then there is the voyeur dying to come out of me. There is a posh hotel directly across the street from my window and for some reason the guests don't feel the need to draw the blinds in their rooms which feature floor to ceiling windows. I try not to pay attention but I will occaisionally glance over and get an unpleasant phallic display... I'm hoping one day I will see Brad Pitt on the crapper since I heard he stays there when he's in town. I bet I could make some good money off that photo!

I also see the warm flicker of candle light coming from the small appartments that dot the skyline. Couples spending time at home together no doubt. How nice. Meanwhile, I'm sitting at home watching movies that give me false hope for movie love, which doesn't even exist.

I can look forward to last call and the subsequent outpouring of trashed hipsters onto the street below. Sometimes confrontations arise and they are louder than usual. Once I saw the phenomenon known as a "bitch fight". This involves two girls screaming at eachother, usually in a language consisting only of slurred obscenities. It usually ends with a sparkly halter being ripped off or an acrylic nail being broken. At least there aren't any guns pulled.

Now I will try to fall asleep to the booming bass from the club below and the beeps of the metal detector being swept over the bodies of the partygoers. So that's why I like being out there instead of in here!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bad place to live hmmmm

12:22 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

actually I love it!

11:16 AM  
Blogger David said...

Jess you should take compromising pictures of the people in hotels then threaten to put the pictures on the Internet if they don't give you money. Extortion- hot in 2005!

12:56 PM  
Blogger the Director of Player Personnel said...

surfed in at random. just wanted to say your blog is so much more refreshing than a lot of the ones out there who use it as nothing but a 'bitch and whine' session about how crappy their lives are (although, i'll admit for some it's therapeutic). it just isnt interesting at all to read about when im bored at work.

i like that good writers write everyday quote. keep writing, whether it be a poem, an anecdote, a fictional story, etc. people will read it. cheers.
nathan

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

thanks so much for the comments! Knowing that people are reading it besides me gives me more motivation to write every day...I'll add more later I promise:)

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Jess baby?! Your writing is hella tight. I like your flow, it's witty, easy to follow and identify with. Keep doin your thang...

O.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I love the way you write.

:)

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home