Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Just When You Think....

R. Kelly couldn't spew out any more of his signature baby-makin' tracks, he comes out with yet another album. Even through all the controversy of statutory rape charges, the creativity streams out of him.

As executive producer, writer and arranger...he makes it look as though it's easy to constantly release albums full of club crowd pleasers and bump-n-grinders. And he didn't let anyone down on this album, featuring all the in demand collaborators such as The Game, Elephant Man, and Snoop Dogg. The one guest that stood out to me was Nivea. She has the sweetest voice.

That all being said, R. Kelly hasn't come out with anything original in eons. It's always the same shit....ever since the beginning. I'm a person who appreciates originality, innovation, and reinvention. He doesn't perform in that respect, and honestly his lyrics are downright cheesy sometimes.

My favourite example of the cheesiness is the track "Sex Weed". Just listen to it please. You will die laughing. Try to feel sexy while listening to this song: "girl you got that sex weed/ I just wanna hit it/ all the time/ sex so good that it gets me high". Compare that to his classic old school track You Remind Me - "you remind me of my jeep, I wanna ride it, something like my sound, I wanna pump it, girl you look just like my car, I wanna wax it..." and so on. Hasn't changed one bit!

If you love classic R. Kelly, which I agree there is definitely a time and a place for, you will love this CD. If you are hoping he would have come with something different, better go for something different.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is excellent. I'm not going to buy this cd. What's with the cover art? Are those giant red lip shaped clouds in the distance? I think you should submit a link to your blog to the girl who writes concert and music critiques in the Vancouver Sun. You can sub in for her when she's away and then scoop her job when she moves on!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

that is a sweet idea! thanks:)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike anonymous, I will purchase TP3 Reloaded because even though R. Kelly has done some devilish things, that man has the sounds of church in his voice. Can I get an amen for all the times father Kelly has helped make our sexual experiences memorable.

I will agree with anonymous on one thing though, Jessica is an excellent writer who deserves to get paid for such poetic reviews.

Keep em comin darlin - your blog weed is the bomb.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the chef is actually The_Chef.

Check it.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

haha thanks:)

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home